Friday, August 31, 2007

10-23-00

Alright . . . rain, big city, people, the Tokyo Hotel on State and Ohio. Tourists and stock brokers, umbrella-wielding data-entry thirty-somethings looking smug as they saunter down the street, dry in the rain, alternateens walking briskly in their Ragstock, Belmont best, city-dwelling trail devils apparently oblivious to their sopping wet Kelty packs, d.i.n.k.s with Old Navy bags, limos and leather jackets, couriers internally screaming "BANZAI" as they steam the streets with their blazing wheels.

There is a frozen drink beside me which gives me a headache when I drink it. It cost me $3.75. How often do we consider it a pleasure to pay for pain? The Gap just walked by, all tight sweater and nylon, urban-styled, navy attache case/bag/thingy, hair shaved and spiked like an ad campaign on legs.

The rain has stopped. Smiles are appearing - a large, black woman and a small Asian man are laughing together. They're behind me, ordering some form of caffeine. Who are the unique? The homeless. All dignity has been stripped and abused and drugged and frozen and cooked out of them . . . human beings whose outer shell is paradoxically both fragile and calloused. Hopeless and hardened. Fences made of communion wafers - how many people care?

I keep drinking my $3.75 Tiazzi.

How long has that fragile girl been in a wheelchair? She handles it well. I need paint. Guess I'd better get going before it starts to rain again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think this is the best thing you've written that i have read in awhile. i'm biased because my reality is parallel.

remember when you dropped me off at my building, the woman who rushed up and said, "i'm not a beggar...i'm sorry, i just need some change to catch my bus?" she was well-dressed. respectable. last night at 11 p.m. i was walking home from the subway and this same woman gave me the same line. i was feeling mean, wanting to cut her down. i got a hold of myself and denied her but left her dignity intact.

i'm beginning to feel abused. part of me says, what do i know? i grew up comfortable, and remain moderately so, drinking my coffee out every morning. but when i am feeling unwell, and the bills are rolling in, i take it all back, and want to say, no---you pay my way today.

---nielsen